- How can you offer free shipping in Canada and the United States?
As a startup it is important for us to understand who our customers are and what they like.
Shipping costs are similar to distribution rates, selling wholesale or consignment to retailers. When we sell to stores, we don’t really get to understand who is buying the chocolate.
Choosing the direct-to-customer sales route we don’t want shipping costs to be a barrier for you to try the chocolate.
- Is your packaging printed on eco friendly paper?
We use classic laid papers which are:
- FSC Certified, ensuring responsible forestry
- Geen-e Certified, made using 100% renewable green electricity
- Green Seal Certified, using 30% post consumer fibers
- Carbon neutral
- Chlorine free
We don’t list any of this on our packaging because we don’t want to distract from what really matters; the chocolate.
Using eco-friendly paper doesn’t improve the quality of the chocolate but it does represent our brand; simple and natural.
- Do you have organic chocolate?
Some of our chocolate is certified organic, however, we strip the organic labels.
Cacao is not an industrial grown crop. Most of the world’s cacao is farmed by smallholder farmers (average of 3 hectares). For the most part these farmers cannot afford pesticides or other chemicals. There are tons of challenging facing cacao cultivation, none of which are addressed with being designated organic.
To create an even playing field we would prefer if you did not use organic certification as a quality criteria for chocolate.
- What are your ingredients?
All McGuire Chocolate is two ingredients;
Organic Cane Sugar